While brushing, flossing, and regular dental visits are essential for keeping your teeth and gums healthy, your diet also plays an important role. Eating the right foods and staying away from unhealthy options can help you keep your teeth and gums strong throughout your entire life.
If you have gum disease or missing teeth, it is important to fix those issues first and then begin a routine of proper dental care. Dr. Andres Herrera, a periodontist and oral surgeon, can determine any necessary treatments to restore your teeth and gums and help you learn how to properly care for them through diet and oral hygiene.
Best Foods for a Healthy Mouth
What you eat and drink can have a large impact on the health of your teeth and gums. Here are some of the best foods for your teeth:
● Water, especially fluoridated water, helps strengthen tooth enamel.
● Milk, cheese, and yogurt are high in protein and calcium.
● Lean meats, eggs, and fish provide protein and phosphorous.
● Vegetables help balance sugar and contain water, fiber, and nutrients.
● Nuts provide protein and minerals without carbs, which can encourage bacteria growth.
Worst Foods for Teeth and Gums
Along with choosing the right foods, it is also important to limit your intake of foods that can damage your teeth and lead to gum disease and other issues. Here are some of the most common damaging foods:
● Sugar can lead to cavities.
● Ice is fine for chilling drinks, but chewing it weakens teeth.
● Citrus fruits are extremely acidic and can erode enamel.
● Coffee and tea can stain teeth and contain sugar.
● Sticky, gummy, or crunchy foods can get stuck in teeth.
● Alcohol, soda, and sports drinks include high levels of sugar and citric acid.
Let Us Help Restore Your Smile
Eating a healthy diet and practicing good dental care are both essential for strong, beautiful teeth. If you have questions about oral health in Salinas, CA, schedule an appointment with Dr. Herrera. Our caring staff can help restore damage and work with you to create a proper dental care routine for a healthy smile.
Currently rated by 0 people